Thursday, February 10, 2011

30 minutes and pool math.

Weight: 256...on my way down again....Yay!
Days 3/100

About this time last year I hurt myself running and this year the same injury seems to be visiting my other foot/hip...oh joy.  
Good thing it was a night the school has open swim!
Now for those not in the know, I prefer Triathlon to Marathoning.  I would love to complete a full marathon, but right now I don't think having two little boys and being a single mom most of the time allows me that luxury.  I really enjoyed the half marathon I did last Fall.  But I still condier the little Tri I did two years ago my biggest accomplishment.  Before I left my job, I registered for the Tri and the half marathon again. Once you put money down on a race, that's the first step MHGR Marathon Guru Don Kern says.

For my money, the second step are these babysteps.  The next step has been taking a little more effort than I thought it would, but I'm doing them.  My favorite authors-Coach Jenny Hadfield and john "The Penguin"Bingham started this group on Facebook called 100 Days Challenge.  It's awesome.  There is even a little chart to fill in the days in a row you do 30 minutes of intentional activity per day.

My boys found that chart one morning and asked me if he could colr it al in for me. I told him no but that he could color in square number one.  Now it's become not only a chart for me, but a way for my boys to unknowingly keep me honest!   I want them to have a square to color in for me! Thus, 3/100.  I've also noticed that I'm losing a pound a day right now.  If I do 30 miutes a day and they add up to a pound a day I might be to my target weight around day number 80!

Tonight's activity was swimming.  It's cheap, but crowded.  The pool was sooooo warm it was like swimming in the bathtub. I know the temperature wasn't conducive to triathlon open water, but the fact that I got there late so there was no lap lane for swimming in made it feel like a starting line for one.  The starting line of a Tri looks like that scene from Pirahna where all the little fish are flipping and flapping and water is flying everywhere. That's what it was like trying to find open water to swim in for 30 minutes tonight!  But I did manage to get my minutes in.  Not pretty. Not fast. But I got it done.

Now to the math....
25 yards = 1 length
50 yards = 1 lap
300 yards = West Michigan Tri Swim leg

So the story problem goes:
How many laps do I need to do to make sure I can swim at least 300?
I figure 6 but that seemes really easy....

Here's a little trickier one
Figure out how many laps I have to do to equal 750 METERS...
Get back to me on that one...I have to go jump up and down to get the water out of my ears...

So tomorrow is mall walking.  Have agreat day everyone.  Hopefully I wil have news on he employment  front soon too. Say a prayer for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment